By Lazarus Zakaa , Abuja
The Chief of Defence Staff, General Abayomi Olonisakin, on 4th June 2020, ordered for the commencement of ‘Operation Accord’ in the northwest and north central region of the country.
The Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Maj. Gen. John Enenche gave the hint while briefing Defence correspondents on Thursday in Abuja.
Gen. Enenche said during the last one week, it troops of Operation Katrina through land and air offensives strike successfully neutralized 392 bandits in two zones
According to the DMOs, Operation ACCORD was preemptively planned by the High Command of the Armed Forces of Nigeria to handle those bandits that escaped resorting to reprisal attacks on civilian targets.
“Let me state here that, Operation ACCORD is a joint operation involving the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies.
“It is a concomitant operation by all the theatres of operations in the North West and North Central regions of the Country targeted at tackling banditry and other criminal activities.
In this regard, all identified hideouts and hibernations of the enemies will be decisively cleared through land and air combat actions.
“This can easily be achieved through provision of credible information that can translate to actionable intelligence”. He said.
The DMOs explained that in the North East, the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies have been on the offensive against the terrorists mainly through the Land and Air components of Operation LAFIYA DOLE.
The significant feats achieved in this theatre according to Enenche includes deletion of key BHT/ISWAP commanders, destruction of their logistics bases and cutting off their supply routes.
“Equally, their camps have been in disarray as a result of the killing of some of their key commanders through airstrikes and artillery bombardments on their identified locations.
“This is in addition to the aggressive mobile clearance operations and air interdictions.
“Thus, the terrorists now carry out attacks in depleted strength on soft targets which is being effectively countered by the gallant troops of Operation LAFIYA DOLE”. He explained.
Enenche requested the cooperation of the general public to avail the various operational out fits in their locations with this highly desirable information, to enable the Nigerian Military and other security agencies achieve the set objective.
“I am to also state that, the Military High Command congratulates all the gallant troops of Nigerian Army, Nigerian Navy, Nigerian Air Force and personnel of other security agencies involved in various operations across the country.
“It equally appreciates the general public for providing credible information, that have so far facilitated the successes of these operations”. He said.
He also enjoin the public to be proactive in providing timely information by reporting suspicious movements and strangers within their locality to troops stationed in their areas.
Promising that the Armed Forces of Nigeria would not ceased it
Offensive strike against the common enemy until peace is restored to all the troubled regions of the Country